What is Family-to-Family?
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, twelve week course providing education and support family members and caregivers of adults living with mental illness. This class is sponsored by NAMI Wichita and we highly encourage family members and caregivers to attend.
During the class, our instructors will present critical information and strategies related to the caregiving of a person living with a mental illness. Through presentations, discussion, interactive exercises and guest speakers, parents and caregivers will learn the following:
- Range of mental illnesses and their impact on the brain, including co-occurring mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
- Current research on treatments
- Skills to manage crises, solving problems, and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care including management of stress and emotional overload.
- Guidance on location appropriate local supports and services.
Our instructors each have a family member living with a mental illness. They have lived similar experiences that you find yourself in now. They strive to provide each participant hope and support in navigating this difficult journey.
Upcoming Family-to-Family Classes:
Our next Family-to-Family Class
Starting Date: Aug 26, 2019
Ending Date: Nov 18, 2019 (No class on Sept 2nd - Labor Day)
Time: 7:00-9:30 PM
Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church
655 S Lorraine Ave, Wichita, Kansas
For more information, call:
Belinda Hunt: 316-641-8417
Joyce Sholander: 316-721-3144
Treva Lichti: 316-617-1909