What is NAMI Basics?
NAMI Basics is a free, six week course providing education and support to parents of children and adolescents who exhibit symptoms of a mental illness. This class is sponsored by NAMI Wichita and we highly encourage parents and primary caregivers to attend. During the class, our instructors will present critical information and strategies related to the caregiving of a child or adolescent with mental health symptoms. Through presentations, discussion, interactive exercises and guest speakers, parents and caregivers will learn the following:
- Range of mental illnesses and their impact on the brain.
- Current research on treatments Preparation for interactions with the mental health care system, school system, and juvenile justice systems.
- Skills to manage crises, solving problems, and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care and for navigating the challenges facing each family member.
- Empowerment as an effective advocate for your child.
Our instructors have each had a child that began experience symptoms of mental illness in childhood. They have lived similar experiences that you find yourself in now. They strive to provide each participant hope and support in navigating this difficult journey.
Resources Specific to Families of Children with Mental Illness
NAMI’s Medical Director, Dr. Ken Duckworth, answers a few of the most commonly asked questions by parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents with mental illness. View the video's!
Search and learn from over 8,000 videos from top experts and parents, include NAMI's Medical Director, Dr. Ken Duckworth.
Having a record keeping system for all of the information and documents about your child's health, treatment plan, IEP information, etc is important in your job as an advocate for your child.
Information for parents and caregivers provided by NAMI.
Our next Basics Class
Please check back for future class dates.
West Heights UMC
745 N. Westlink
Wichita, KS 67212